Saturday, September 19, 2009

Blog 1

In the Allegory of the cave, the prisoners in the cave know that the shadows thrown on the wall by the fire behind them are real. To the prisoners the truth would be literally nothing but the shadows of the images. After so many years we can still relate it to our everyday lives. Some people still live in their own realm of reality and I believe each one of us is still a prisoner in our own Allegory of the cave. We see Allegory of the cave as an illusion ones self reality, it is a distortion of all reality. We have to open our eyes and see the world around us. We have to break free to see the truth.
Like one of the prisoners we must walk from the darkness into the light. Stepping out of the cave and seeing the sun represents enlightenment, and opens a better understanding about life. Then the prisoner goes back to the darkness of the cave to free other prisoners. But they reject him and threaten to kill him. That is a direct representation of our typical behaviors in society. If I were in Socrates cave I would break free from the chain and take a step outside from the things that are familiar to me inside the cave, to see the world and learn more about life.
I believe at this point in my life I feel like that I was a prisoner in the cave who finally broke away from the chains. Once in a while I wander back to the cave not to forget where I came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment